Saturday 18 October 2014

La Vita Spuntini - Byres Road, Glasgow




La Vita Spuntini Byres Road

We’ve previously had takeaways and eaten in the Bishopbriggs La Vita which has always been received well. After a tiring weekend, we decided to grab a takeaway, and La Vita Byres Road had a really great deal on. Three tapas style starts, a pizza and a pasta dish all for £20.00. This was a better offer than the one for Bishopbriggs, so how different could the same restaurant be in quality? Let’s find out…


Mister Eats: The first starter we got was Pollo Cardinal which was a chicken in batter, covered in a creamy mushroom sauce. This was not what I thought it was going to be – the chicken was hard and overcooked, the sauce could have been anything I just couldn’t taste a thing. The only two positive things I would say is that the batter had a nice flavour to it and the mushrooms were cooked well.


Next was Spiedini De Manzo which was sausage wrapped in a steak. This dish had a very nice Napoli sauce, very good flavours with a slight spice at the end; I’d really like that sauce in pasta. The steak however had only been cooked on one side, and after cutting into the steak you could tell that the other side hadn’t even been put on the grill. Somehow the sausage was overcooked. Had it the sausage not been overcooked, and the steak undercooked, I could see the potential for this dish as I could detect the flavours coming through from the actual sauce which would have been nice, had it not have been for the texture battle that was going on in my mouth.


The last starter we got was the Arancini De Manzo. This was the dish I was most looking forward to try, on paper it sounded very appetising and appealing. When we got it, it looked like something you would get from a freezer section of a supermarket. Very little taste in the balls; they were cold, tasteless and unidentifiable as risotto balls.




We got the Amore pizza which is basically a pizza topped with pesto, mascarpone cheese, pepperoni and roasted red peppers. We’ve previously had this pizza from the Bishopbriggs restaurant, and we liked it so much we ordered it again expecting the same quality. We were greatly disappointed as I have never seen a more undercooked pizza as what we got. The whole thing bar the crust was completely raw, as I lift up a slice there was absolutely no maintaining its shape and everything fell of the pizza. Even when we cooked it the next day in our oven, it didn’t seem to even help it much. This was by far the worst pizza I’ve ever had!




We chose the Mia Casa. The pasta was the only upside to this catastrophe of a takeaway! It had a really nice, rich, creamy sauce. The pasta was cooked well, and after the disappointment with the chicken in the mushroom starter, I paid extra attention to this one, and it was cooked and seasoned well. They were not shy with the broccoli which was a plus, and cooked well.



In terms of value, the only thing that I would have paid for is the pasta dish, so I can’t say that this was good value for money. I don’t know what kind of chef it takes to constantly undercook and overcook at the same time, but I’d rather have flushed my £20 down the toilet. Definitely won’t be visiting that La Vita in person!


My 5 point sum up:

-          Half over cooked, half undercooked
-          Very little flavour
-          Cold
-          Visually Unappealing
-          100% won’t get a takeaway from them again


Missus Eats: As Mister Eats has mentioned, we’ve had a La Vita before but only from the Bishopbriggs restaurant, so we didn’t think much quality would be different, if anything I thought it would be improved as this was from the West end of the city.


To start, we had a tapas sized starter of Pollo Cardinal. I actually liked the sauce that it was in, I thought the mushrooms were cooked well and the sauce was just a generic creamy sauce. The menu describes this as having a ‘secret twist’ to the chicken.. Now the only thing I can think that this could be is the batter on the outside, which makes no sense because it was a bog standard batter. But all in all, it was okay.



Next was the Spiedini De Manzo which I found really hard to eat – the steak was tough, and the sausage was even tougher. The sausage seemed to be overcooked and the steak overcooked, and the combination was just not desirable at all. The sauce was mediocre, a basic tomato Napoli sauce. I wouldn’t order it again, another disappointment.


Finally was the Arancini De Manzo, risotto balls. Now I’ve actually looked back and read the menu there supposedly was a beef and pork ragu in the middle of the balls... I genuinely thought it was just risotto, they had that little flavour. The breadcrumbs on the outside were pleasant and added texture, the dip that was provided in them was again, tasteless. This was the only starter I was really looking forward to it and it just let me down.


I’ve had the Amore pizza before from La Vita Bishopbriggs, and was one of the main reasons that I wanted to get a La Vita. Last time, it was absolutely divine. This time, it was inedible. The pizza base was completely raw, and even when we cooked it the next day, it just was not nice to eat. The mascarpone wasn’t there, the red peppers were soggy, the pesto was tasteless and the base had the consistency of PVA glue.


Last but not least, the pasta we chose was the Mia Casa which again, I’ve had before from the Bishopbriggs restaurant, and this was the only thing where the quality was the same. The broccoli was lovely and crunchy, and I love the way the pasta wasn’t drowned in the sauce, it was just lightly tossed, and the slight chilli kick afterwards was delicious. I really enjoyed this dish and wish that I’d have just got this, because I would have thoroughly enjoyed my meal more.


I really don’t want this experience to put me off eating in La Vita, as it seems such a quality change from the one in Bishopbriggs. I am really curious to go and eat in the restaurant to compare the standards, and if I do, I will keep you updated. The meal was completely disappointing; I could have gone out with £20.00 and cooked myself a better meal than that. Shame on La Vita Spuntini for this horrendous quality food.

My 5 point sum up:

-          Bad quality food

-          Lovely Mia Casa

-          Uneven quality between restaurants

-          Great offer, bad experience

-          Would never order takeout from there again

 Thanks for reading, and remember... Enjoy your meal

Mister and Missus Eats x

If you have any suggestions, please comment below or email
You can now like our facebook page by clicking here and follow us on twitter by clicking here

No comments:

Post a Comment